- If you have experienced vaginal itching in the past, you are not alone. Women of all ages experience vaginitis in their life but is most common during the reproductive years.
- And while some women may be embarrassed discussing it with their doctor it is one of the most common reasons for a visit with a gynecologist.
What is Vaginitis ?
- It ‘s an inflammation of the vagina
- 75% of all women will have a vaginal yeast infection at some point in their lives!
Causes of a vaginal yeast infection ?
- You guessed it: yeast!
- Vaginal yeast infections is also known as vaginal candidiasis, vulvovaginal candidiasis or candidal vulvovaginitis are caused by the candid fungus.
- Vaginal yeast infections that keep coming back are known as recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC).
- Vaginitis is very broad term with number of different health conditions like bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis and non-infectious vaginitis
The odds of developing a vaginitis are highest
- Use of antibiotics
- During pregnancy
- When someone has a hormonal imbalance
- Uses hormone therapy or takes birth control pills
- Following sexual intercourse
- When someone has low immune system
- Around the time of menstrual cycle
- In uncontrolled diabetes
- Poor hygiene
- Wearing damp, tight fitting clothes
For further information please consult your doctor!
Note : For people concerned with skin cancer or for those who wish to get their vitamin D in other ways, supplements are available.
Ask your doctor about prescription medications and injectable bone-building agents!
- Ref 1 : https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Vaginitis?IsMobileSet=false Adopted from The American College of obstetricians and gynecologists,cited on the 9th Sep 2019
- Ref 2: https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/genital/index.html cited on 9th Sep 2019